- My Account
- 24/7 Library
- Books & More
OverDrive "Cheat Sheets"
Sign in- In the upper right section of the screen click on “Sign In.” You will be asked to select your library (Eastern Shores Library System), and then to enter your library card number and your PIN (usually the last 4 of your telephone number).
Search for an e-book.
Search Tips: Unless you want to browse the entire collection, it is best to use the “advanced search” function. Click on “Advanced Search,” and narrow the format to Kindle Book and by selecting “Available Now.” You can also narrow further with the “Added to Site” to see the latest e-books that have been added.
Once you find a title you want to check out, click on the picture of the book. The default is set to let you check out the book for 7 days. If you would like it for 14 or 21 days click on “Change” below the Borrow link. Select how long you would like the book to be checked out and click “Done.”
Click “Borrow.” Click “Download” and select “Kindle Book.” Click “Confirm & Download” and you will be sent to the Amazon site to finish the download process. Click on “Get Library Book.” You must be logged on to your Amazon account – you will be prompted to log on if you are not. You may be prompted to choose which device you want to send the book to. Choose the appropriate device and click “Continue.”
If your device has the Wi-Fi turned on, your title will immediately load onto your Kindle - otherwise the next time you connect to Wi-Fi and click on “Sync and Check for Items,” the title will load onto your device.
If No Wi-Fi Access Available or Title Is Published by Penguin
If you do not have Wi-Fi access available, you can use a USB cable connection from your Kindle to your PC to download to the Kindle. After checking out a title from OverDrive and Amazon, connect the cable, go to Manage Your Kindle in Amazon and click on the “Actions” button next to the title you want to download and choose “Download & Transfer via USB.” Click on “Download.” Save and download to PC. At the PC drag and drop title file from PC to the Kindle document folder. Safely remove the Kindle, press the Menu button on the Kindle and click on “Sync and Check for Items” and the title will transfer to the Kindle.
*Note about titles published by Penguin
Penguin Group no longer allows Overdrive to purchase e-books from them. They also will no longer allow Kindle users to wirelessly download any of the books that are already in our collection. You need to connect your Kindle to your computer with a USB cord to download. You are not able to send the books to any of the Kindle apps.
Changing from a 3G to a Wi-Fi Connection OR connecting to a new Wi-Fi
You cannot use 3G to download library Kindle books so you need to connect your Kindle to Wi-Fi. (If your Kindle is on 3G this will display in the upper right hand corner of the device.)
On the Kindle, press the Home button and press the Menu button and choose “Settings.” Scroll down to “Wi-Fi Settings” and click on “View.”
The Wi-Fi connections that are available will display so that you can choose one. When the Wi-Fi connection is made “Wi-Fi” will display in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
Returning a Title Early
Log into Amazon
Go to “Manage Your Kindle”
Next to each title you have borrowed is an “Actions” pull-down menu
Select “Return This Book”
The title has been returned. To fully delete the title from your Amazon account you must once again click on “Actions” in the pull-down menu and select “Delete.”
You will need to delete it from your device (at Home, scroll to the title you want to remove and click to the left of the title. A pull-down menu displays, click on “Remove from Device.”)
Emails from Amazon
Amazon will send emails when a title is near to expiring and when it has expired. The emails say that the title can be checked out again from the library or purchased from Amazon.
Using the Kindle’s (experimental) Web Browser
(Note: This requires the Kindle to first be connected to a WiFi Internet connection)
Next, highlight and select “Launch Browser.”
Now you will be able to search for, check out, and deliver library e-books through your Kindle Web Browser!
We first need to download the software necessary to transfer the e-book to your device. Click on “Help.” Click “Software,” and then click on “Adobe Digital Editions.” Follow prompts to download Adobe Digital Editions (you only have to do this once). When process says “Completed,” click on “Close.” The Adobe Digital Editions screen will appear. Minimize this screen and resume working with Wisconsin’s Digital Library.
Sign in. You will be asked to select your library (Eastern Shores Library System), and then to enter your library card number and your PIN. (Usually the last 4 digits of your phone number.)
Search for an e-book. You may want to click on the link for “Available Now” to narrow options to books currently available to be checked out. E-Pub and PDF formats will work with your device. (Hint: You can tell a book is currently available when the book icon in the upper-right corner of the book cover is black If the book icon is gray, this means that the book is not currently available and must be placed on hold).
Once you find a title you want to check out, click on the book’s cover. The default is set to let you check out the book for 7 days. If you would like it for 14 or 21 days click on “Change” below the Borrow link. Select how long you would like the book to be checked out and click “Done.”
Go back to the Bookshelf and click “Borrow.” Click “Download” and select “EPUB eBook”. Touch “Confirm & Download”. Select “Open.” Select “Allow,” if asked. (If your device is not authorized with your Adobe ID, you may receive a message asking to authorize your device with the Adobe ID. If you do not have an ID click on “Create an account” and enter the necessary information.) Adobe Digital Editions will open and when you select “Library” in the upper left corner of the window, you will see the book that you just checked out!
Now, plug the NOOK into the USB port on your computer. A box will appear asking you to authorize device. (You only have to do this once.) Follow the prompts to authorize your device. Your NOOK will now be listed on the left side of the screen as NOOK or Media. Click on the book title and drag and drop onto the word “NOOK” or “Media.” The book has now been downloaded to your device.
On the lower right of the computer screen, click on the icon to “Safely Remove Hardware”. Choose
“Eject NOOK”. You may now unplug your device from the computer and enjoy reading on your NOOK.
Returning a Book using Overdrive and Nook
1. Return the book through Adobe Digital Editions
Double-click on the Adobe Digital Editions icon on your desktop.
Make sure that you are in Library View.
Find title that you want to return. Right-click on the book and select “Return.”
You can now close the Adobe Digital Editions screen.
2. To Delete the borrowed book from your NOOK
Plug Nook into your computer
Choose “Open folder to view files”
Click on “Digital Editions”
Right-click on book title and select “Delete”
At bottom of screen, click icon to “Safely Remove Hardware.”
In order to read Overdrive e-books with your device you will need to download the free program Overdrive Media Console (OMC).
To Download OMC:
1. Go to the App Store on your device. (For NookColor/Tablet/HD go to Barnes and Noble app store, for Android products go to Google Play, for KindleFire go the Amazon app store, for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch go to Apple App Store)
2. In the search box type Overdrive Media Console.
3. Touch the Install button for the app that corresponds to the device.
4. Follow the prompts on your device which may ask for a username and password.
Activating the Overdrive Media Console App with Adobe ID
1. Touch the OMC app to open it.
2. If it is your first time opening OMC, a box will ask that you sign in with an Adobe ID. If you do not have an Adobe ID then touch “Register at Adobe.com” and go to step #7. If you have already downloaded OMC, but have not authorized your device with an Adobe ID then go to step #3.
3. This step will differ depending on which device you use. For the KindleFire/Nook touch the icon on the bottom of the screen of 3 lines and then touch App Settings on the menu. Some devices may have a Settings icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
4. At the top of the screen touch Authorize with Adobe ID.
5. If you do not have an Adobe ID then touch the Get a Free Adobe ID button.
6. Touch the yellow button Create an Adobe Account.
7. Fill out the form with your information. You are required to fill out the entry boxes indicated with an asterisk (*) symbol. The remaining entry boxes are optional to fill out. Write down your ID and password.
8. Touch Continue buttons until your account is set up.
9. Press the permanent Home button on your device to exit the page.
10. Touch the OMC App to open up the application.
11. If asked, type in your newly created Adobe ID and password and touch Authorize.
12. For the Kindle/Nooks touch the icon on the bottom of the screen of 3 lines and then touch Get Books. On some devices you can just touch the Get Books icon at the top of the page.
How to Download Books on your Device
1. Touch Add a Library to add the Mead Public Library- WPLC Overdrive website to your device.
2. Touch the Search box and type in your zip code and touch Search to find the Eastern Shores Library System-Mead Public Library
3. Touch the Eastern Shores Library System-Mead Public Library
4. Touch Wisconsin Public Library Consortium to go to our download area. (Touch the star so it turns yellow to save the library for the next time you use the app.)
5. Touch Sign In found in the upper right corner of the screen.
6. Select Eastern Shores from the list of libraries.
7. Enter your library card number and your pin number (usually the last 4 digits of your telephone number.)
8. Touch Sign In.
9. Searching Options (Keep in mind that Overdrive contains e-books and audiobooks in various formats. If you are looking for e-books look for the EPUB format, audiobooks will be in MP3 format.)
Use the menu at the top to browse categories of e-books or audiobooks.
Touch Search to find an author or title. Hint: If you are certain of the spelling, put the title or author’s name in quotation marks (ex. “James Patterson” or “Explosive Eighteen”) to narrow your search.
10. Move down the page to find a book. Titles available for immediate download will have a black open book icon. If the book icon is light gray the title is not available for immediate checkout and you will need to place a hold. You will be placed on a waiting list and sent an email when that book is available for you to check out.
11. Once you find a title you want to check out, click on the book’s cover. The default is set to let you check out the book for 7 days. If you would like it for 14 or 21 days click on Change below the Borrow link. Select how long you would like the book to be checked out and click Done.
12. Touch Borrow. The book is now checked out.
13. Touch Download and select EPUB eBook.
14. Touch Confirm & Download. (If your device is not authorized with your Adobe ID, you may receive a message asking to Authorize your device with the Adobe ID you created.)
15. The title will begin downloading and will be added to your bookshelf. Click on Bookshelf in the upper right corner of the screen.
16. Touch the image of the book cover to begin reading.
Returning Titles Early
Books will automatically be returned after the due date, but you can return items early.
1. From the Bookshelf page, touch the + sign to the far right of the title.
2. Touch “Return then Delete” option.